Immigration Updates

Center for New Americans is proud to be a participant in the Immigrant Protection Project (IPP).

The IPP is a coordinated regional effort to provide immigrants in Western Massachusetts with referrals for legal assistance and connections to other services.  It is sponsored by the ACLU of Western Massachusetts.

The IPP Call Center is open from 3-7 pm Monday through Friday. Please click here to visit the IPP website. The Call Center number is 413-727-8515!

The Call Center is staffed by bilingual (English/Spanish) intake workers.  There is the capacity to offer services in other languages.



On February 26, 2018, the Supreme Court declined to hear the Trump Administration's appeal of a federal court's ruling on DACA.  The ruling effectively leaves the DACA program in place pending Congressional action.  U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services is not accepting new DACA applications.  Current DACA recipients can renew their applications.

~~ People should continue to avoid negative interaction with law enforcement. Something like a DUI or conviction related to drugs can have irreversible negative immigration consequences.



If you are stopped by police you have the Right to Remain Silent. 

Click on this link Know Your Rights Card ​for a Know Your Rights Card that you can print and give to police if you are stopped.

The National Immigration Law Center reminds us that everyone has certain basic rights no matter what administration presides. Visit their site or click here for more information.



Latest Scam:

The Office of Attorney General Maura Healey warns of scammers promising mortgage debt or other debt relief to you and your family from mortgage debt or unpaid taxes! They ask you to sign a document.

​DO NOT proceed in this type of transaction!  Please call the Attorney General’s Consumer Advocacy and Response Division at 617-727-8400 for questions or concerns.

Learn how to Avoid Scams


Learn how to Avoid Scams


Legal Aid - Franklin and Hampshire Counties


Massachusetts Justice Project

Holyoke Office - 413-533-2660

toll-free: 800-639-1209


Western Mass. Legal Services

Greenfield Office - 413-584-4034


The Amherst and Northampton Police Departments will not share information with ICE. Please see their statement:

Amherst -

Northampton -


​The Immigration Advocates Network - - maintains a national directory of more than 950 free or low-cost nonprofit immigration legal services providers in all 50 states. (Center for New Americans has a partial list of immigration professional in our area.)


Be aware of scams by service provider. Use competent immigration help, such as mentioned above.


People should know their rights when in contact with an immigration agency.


More Resources

Informed Immigrant is a continuously-updated resource site for immigrants and allies across the United States.

Attorney General's Hate Crime Hotline: 1-800-994-3228

(If you feel you are in immediate danger, call 911)


If Friends and Advocates Want to Get Involved​

We are not an advocacy organization, but, Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition (MIRA) specifically promotes the rights of immigrants and refugees.

​ACLU of Massachusetts has up-to-date information on issues important to immigrants and refugees.


413 Staying Connected for Action is a local advocacy group.




Center for New Americans is a community-based organization. No gift is too small.

More >



Center for New Americans welcomes volunteers.

More >


Startup Growth Lite is a free theme, contributed to the Drupal Community by More than Themes.